Tuesday, July 17, 2007

La Cosa Numero 14: Technorati

I have to say I didn't much care for Technorati-- I'm not sure that it would be of much use to me in my profession. My main problem with Technorati is the content-- browsing "where's the fire" section I see links the read like this: "Some HOT and nude Images from the last Paris Hilton sex tape," among some other choice titles. That's on the extreme end-- but there is also no shortage of "gossipy" blog talk about celebrities. I'm not sure how either of those things fit in to Library 2.0... help me out, of what use is it to us as librarians? Certainly there are lots of blogs and posts that could be of use to us, and it's nice that one can sign in and manage a list of favorites for blogs. But this also seems very similar to what we've already explored in Bloglines and Del.icio.us. Given my choice of the three, I'd go with Bloglines to manage the blogs and news I want. However, I'll give Technorati a lot of credit for having a variety of media covered-- they have links to videos on the site too with preview thumbnails which I do like.

I guess overall Technorati seems too heavy on fluff and pop culture for me to use extensively in my job, but I can imagine perusing the music and video sections in my free time at home.

No comments: