Friday, July 27, 2007

Thing #18: Online Productivity Tools

I definitely like Google Docs. For a time our library system did not have word processing software available to the public in all branches. In order to use word processing software, a patron would have to drive from my branch which did not offer the service to one of 4 locations in the county that did offer it. Believe me I saw many a discontented patron when they learned they needed to go to another location to type a document. Then along comes Writely, now Google Docs. Suddenly I could get patrons signed up on Google Docs and have them typing, saving, and printing at our word processing software-less branch in a matter of minutes.

Also, on Google Docs you can access your documents anywhere there is Internet access. No lugging around discs or flash drives! I also like that you have the option of saving files as html, pdf, word, and other formats. I'm not sure if Google Docs does absolutely everything that Word does, but I've not had trouble composing and formatting with Google Docs.

No comments: