Monday, July 16, 2007

Thing #13: Del.icio.us

So I spent some time navigating Del.icio.us today (strange web address by the way). I can see the potential for this site, but I'm not terribly excited by it at the moment. Maybe it is because it is so text based and I want to see thumbnail previews of the pages listed. I like the idea of people tagging sites so that I might find them more easily, but I don't imagine myself having the time to review and tag websites. I did sign up for an account and added a button to my browser so I could easily bookmark sites. Also, I guess this is handy because you can then access your personal bookmarks anywhere in the world-- so it is somewhat useful in that way. This site seems to be in its infancy but it is a good tool for finding certain sites-- because they are tagged you can get more relevant results. A Google search for readers' advisory might bring up a bunch of unrelated information, but searching for that on Delicious will get you results that are more focused. So I guess I'm on the fence about this one-- like a lot of sites we've explored this one seems not fully developed to me. I think "Library 2.0" has some growing to do, but I do see the potential for many of these tools. I'll continue to check back with Del.icio.us and add favorite sites with my bookmark button on Firefox-- some day when I'm stumped at the reference desk by an odd information request I'll try Delicious over Google and see what I get.

No comments: